Sanction for holding an elective office under Rule 15(1)(c) of CCS(Conduct) Rules, 1964 - DOPT
Dopt – Sanction for holding an elective office under Rule 15(1)(c) of CCS(Conduct) Rules, 1964
F. No. 11013/1/2016-Estt-III
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
(Establishment A-III Desk)
North Block, New Delhi – 110001
Dated: 27 February 2020
Subject: Sanction for holding an elective office under Rule 15(1)(c) of CCS(Conduct) Rules, 1964 – reg.
The undersigned is directed to refer to this Department O.M. No. 11013/1/2016- Estt.A-111 dated 5.08.2019 (copy enclosed) to say that the competent authority has now approved the modification in Para 3 and Para 4 of the existing O.M. dated 5.08.2019. Para 3 and Para 4 of existing OM dated 5.08.2019 are modified as under:
2. Instances have come to notice where Government servants continue to hold elective offices in various capacities for unduly long periods. In some cases, where bye-laws of these bodies place restrictions on the number of consecutive terms a person may hold an office, Government servants are reported to have either got themselves re-elected after a gap or have got a family member/ close relative elected as a surrogate in order to keep control of such bodies. In such cases, Government servants may not be bestowing adequate attention upon their official duties and, as a result, an apprehension may arise that such Government servants also develop vested interests, particularly if the body is involved in commercial activities, directly or indirectly.
3. The policy on fixing an upper limit of the number of years for which Government servants can hold elective office in anybody in their entire career has been reviewed and it has been decided that a Government servant may be allowed to hold elective office in anybody, whether incorporated or not, for period of two terms or for a period of 5 years, whichever is earlier, for which prior sanction would be required when a Government servant contests an election in such body, as per existing rules.
4. It is, therefore, necessary for the Competent Authority to keep in mind all the relevant factors while granting permission under Rule 15(1)(c) of CCS (Conduct) Rules, 1964. In cases where the Government servants have assumed charge of elected posts prior to the issuing of O.M. dated 5.08.2019, they may be allowed to complete the full period of their current tenure, except in cases where there are charges of corruption and adverse audit paras, etc.”
5. All Ministries/Departments/Offices are requested to bring the above instructions to the notice of all administrative authorities under their control.
6. In their application to the employees of Indian Audit and Accounts Department, these orders are issued after consultation with Comptroller and Auditor General of India, as mandated under Article 148(5) of the Constitution
7. In so far as the employees of Indian Audit and Accounts Departments are concerned, this O.M. issues after consultation with Comptroller & Auditor General of India.
8. The Hindi version will follow.
(Umesh Kumar Bhatia)
Deputy Secretary to the Govt. of India
The Secretaries of All Ministries/Departments
(as per the standard list)
1. Presidents Secretariat, New Delhi.
2. Vice-Presidents Secretariat, New Delhi.
3. The Prime Minister's Office, New Delhi.
4. Cabinet Secretariat, New Delhi.
5. Rajya Sabha Secretariat/Lok Sabha Secretariat, New Delhi.
6. The Comptroller and Auditor General of India, New Delhi.
7. The Secretary, Central Vigilance Commission
8. The Secretary, Union Public Service Commission, New Delhi.
9. The Secretary, Staff Selection Commission, New Delhi.
10. All attached offices under the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances
11. National Commission for Scheduled Castes, New Delhi.
12. National Commission for Scheduled Tribes, New Delhi.
13. National Commission for OBCs, New Delhi.
14. Secretary, National Council (JCM), 13, Feroze Shah Road, New Delhi.
15. CVOs of all Ministries/Departments.
16. ADG (M&C), Press Information Bureau, DoP&T
17. NIC, Department of Personnel & Training, North Block, New Delhi [for
uploading the same on the website of this Ministry under the under the
Head Notifications -~ OMs & Orders -* Establishment CCS
(Conduct)Rules & What's New]
18. Hindi Section, DoP&T for translation in Hindi.
Read this also